Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural thoughts

I am very happy. I've been singing farewell songs to George Bush all week leading up to today. Good riddance to him. Let Texas have him. I never need to see or hear from him again. Done.

President Obama gave a perfectly competent speech. A hightlight for me was when he said something like..."Christians and Muslims, Jews and Mormons (OK, I know he did not say that), and NON-BELIEVERS...." Good for him. Everyone always talks god this and god that and I get so tired of it. I am all about church and state. Keep 'em separate. Don't swear on a bible or say "under god." The constitution doesn't make you and let's keep your lord out of it.

Then there was Minister Joseph Lowery. I heard his benediction on NPR on the way to work. Couldn't make out what he was saying at first but really got into his closing words: "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right." Awesome! This rhyming was way more moving than what that poet lady said and got the point across.

We all need to settle down now. Bush is history and Obama needs to prove himself. He took a step in the right direction by suspending Guantanamo trials today. Nice move. Shut that place down! Let's reclaim the Geneva Conventions, please.

I come from a family of liberals and we were pleased today. I watched the swearing-in ceremony with my mom and she snuck a teeny American flag into my wallet before I left for work. She thanked me for sharing the Inauguration with her and it moved both of us. I'm glad we experienced it together. Later in the day, my dad left me a voice message proclaiming, "Hail to the chief! Hail to the chief!" Good people, my mom and dad. My lefty ways come from directly from them, thank goodness!

No comments: