Tuesday, March 9, 2010

There's a Heaven and There's a Star for You

I scoffed at all those folks wailing about Michael Jackson's death, crying over a man they never knew who they claimed changed their lives.

But now I have an inkling of their loss.

I am mourning and am moved by the death of Mark Linkous, the man behind Sparklehorse. I wasn't the band's No. 1 fan or anything but I admire his music and its beauty. I'm having a Sparklehorse music marathon in honor of him right now.

He killed himself Saturday with a rifle shot to the chest. AP reported that after receiving a text message, he left a friend's house with his rifle and pulled the trigger in a nearby alley. So sad.

Linkous had a history of depression. He famously overdosed on Valium and antidepressants while touring with Radiohead in 1996. He was unconscious for 14 hours and had a heart attack when paramedics revived him. His legs were pinned underneath him while he was out and he never regained full used of them again.

The song "Hey, Joe" played not too long ago and it was the first time I'd heard/understood the line "There's a heaven and there's a star for you." His family quoted that when announcing his death.

I last saw Linkous and Sparklehorse perform at the Henry Fonda Theater in 2007. He wore braces on his legs and had difficulty walking but it was magic hearing his music live. The show didn't last too long, his legs made that impossible, but I am so happy I got to support the man at least once.

I swear, I'm tearing up listening to the "It's a Wonderful Life" album. He must have felt that at some point but depression got the best of him.

RIP, you talented, tortured man.

No comments: