Tuesday, March 30, 2010

crazy talk

I thought about being a vegetarian for a minute this evening. I love meat and believe in protein but after reading a Los Angeles magazine article about raw diets, the idea crossed my mind.

Specifically, I'd leave my beloved pork, beef and chicken behind to lose weight. The article I read referred to a friend of the author's who had lost 10 pounds and gained a beautiful "glow" in less than a month by going raw. Raw diets are extreme but maybe losing the meat that sticks to your ribs isn't a bad idea.


I'm ten pounds heavier than I was two years ago and am not happy about it. I know, friends and family say I look fine but I don't FEEL fine. My roll disgusts me. Seeing myself in dressing room mirrors disgusts me. I am filling in my clothes to the max and can't even fit into some of the items that I really like. I'm not ready to get rid of the size 4 things yet but if I continue down this road it's gonna happen, whether I like it or not.


Exercise alone isn't cutting it so I have to practice what I preach and have to watch what I eat. If you are what you eat then today I am a homemade smoothie/rice/salmon/veggies/tortilla with cheese/bean and beef burrito.
More fruits and veggies, fewer carbs. But why do carbs taste so good?


Work is topsy turvy. Our longtime, fabulous TV reporter/editor is jumping ship to work for the competition. Something tells me lots of money and flexibility were involved in the offer. It's been slow news-wise which makes the days go by slower.


I'm going to commit to a wedding venue tomorrow. A couple of weeks ago I did a Google search for "budget weddings Los Angeles" and up came the Culver Events Center. Chris and I saw it independently and have agreed that it fits our criteria for budget, space, and convenience. It's not the fanciest place, nor is it the most beautiful, but we're going to make it our own for one special day.


9:56pm update

I just showed my mom pictures of our wedding venue and she was underwhelmed. "That doesn't look big enough for 150 people." "What happens if it rains?" "If the tables aren't all together, won't the guests feel bad?"


You know who feels bad now? Me. My mother has no confidence in our decision nor in the event staff's capabilities. I trust that the event center will get it right. If I had another $10,000, we could have it somewhere nicer with more space. That is not the reality and I hate feeling bad about that.


One of our thoughts to save money and still have a classy affair was to spend big bucks on a nice ceremony and then just have hors d'ourvres and cocktails afterwards. Tonight my mom said, "If you did that, wouldn't your guests be hungry?"


I feel like I need to put a disclaimer on the wedding invite: this is not a fancy wedding. You will not be served steak. If you're traveling to Los Angeles, know that spectacular scenery is not part of the wedding package. Be prepared to park in a regular 'ol neighborhood. Don't have high expectations.


Bummer.

No comments: