Thursday, January 20, 2011

I am not cut out for this

Rough day at work. I am not cut out for the fast-paced google/trending-chasing world.

At a staff meeting today we were told we need to work faster. We need to answer our #1 boss's emails faster. 20 minutes is not acceptable. When we get e-mails from the Big Boss we need to drop whatever we're doing, answer her and do what she wants.

I also found out this week that the Big Boss was not happy to one of my replies to her emails. I work my ass off and that's what I'm known for with her. I said I mostly read the N.Y. Times' art section and didn't see the front page story about the "children's author that inspired the movie Babe's" death.

On Saturday night, formally "on-call" hours have turned into 911s every time a missive rolls down from the Palisades; we're expected to jump like lapdogs once the Huffington Post has posted that Aretha Franklin wants Halle Berry to play her in a biopic.

This is not my pace.

I was told I needed to "play the game" better and more, i.e., I need to appear more enthusiastic through emails in order to sound like I'm doing my job. The fact that I'm online from 8:30am to 10:30pm on Saturdays is not proof enough.

Deep breaths. Focus. Remember this is not the goal. Working at a university is the goal. Getting a Master's is a goal.

I will never ever deal with people the way the Big Boss deals with us. The hierarchical communication is a morale buster.

My old employers were not perfect but they all knew our names, had lunch with us, made sure we were all part of the holiday celebration. The top guy in the company was not above dining with the workers. This is not the case in The Hollywood Reporter's editorial department.

No comments: