Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wedding burnout

A little more than two months from the wedding and I am tired of it. It's all I spend my free time doing. Frankly, there are a lot of other things I'd rather be doing.

But it's crunch time and I need to get moving. Still need a cake, a photographer, invitations (they're being designed), playlists for when the band's not playing at the reception. Also need wedding rings, vows, pre-marital counseling, etc.

The music aspect of the reception has me plowing through old and new stuff. I want dance music and I like hip-hop but the lyrics just won't cut it at a wedding. I've never really thought about how inappropriate most rap songs are. They're either cursing or abusing women or cursing. Same goes for my favorite Mexican rock-rap act, Molotov. Lyrics about having sex with people's sisters or admiring women's breasts are too tacky for a family event. My in-laws are not Latino and I certainly don't want to feed into some vulgar stereotype. I can hear it now, "What does 'chi-chi' mean?"

No comments: